These easy Dinosaur Fossils are made with Salt Dough, which is a very quick and easy dough to make and create with. This craft is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers on up!
Ages: 2 and Up
• Salt Dough (add brown food coloring to water to get brown colored fossils - mix red, blue and yellow to get brown)
• Small Plastic Dinosaur figurine
• Circle or square cookie cutter or playdough cutter
• Baking sheet
• Oven (optional)
Here's how you make it...
1. Roll your dough out, the thickness depends on how big your figurine is. Make sure you dough is more that half the thickness of your dinosaur figurine. Use a cookie cutter (a glass works well too) to cut out a circle.
2. Press your dinosaur into the dough and remove, you'll see your dinosaur shape in the dough.
3. Dry your Dinosaur Fossils by baking them at 200 F. The amount of time needed to bake depends on how thick your dough is. Fossils that are about ¼" thick will need to bake for about 3 hours. You can increase the temperature up to 350 F but your fossils may get more brown on the top, just check them and cover if needed.
You can also paint your fossils with regular acrylic paint if you choose, seal the paint with varnish or polyurethane spray.
Sign up for our FREE Newsletter
The Busy Bee BUZZzzz You'll get the BUZZzzz on our new crafts, featured crafts for up coming holidays and seasons, AND learn some fun and useful tips for doing kids crafts - all delivered to your inbox from busybeekidscrafts.com.
Your email address is totally secure, it is only used to send you the Busy Bee BUZZzzz.