Preschoolers will need a lot of adult help to do this craft, but they will love to wear it!
* Instructions for template: The template will open in a new window; close this window when you are done printing to return to the activity page. You will need Adobe Reader to open the template. If you do not have it you can download it for free here.
Here's how you make it...
1. Unfold your large piece of newspaper completely.
2. The amount you cut (or don't cut) from your newspaper will determine the size of your hat. We cut ¼ of the newspaper off so that it would fit a 3 year old. This size will most likely work best for 3-6 year olds. For older children you don't have to cut any off at all.
3. Fold your newspaper in half.
4. Fold both outer corners down, meeting in the middle.
5. Put a couple of pieces of scotch tape on each triangle.
6. You'll notice that there are two pieces of newspaper at the bottom of the hat. Take one piece and fold it up, secure with tape if you want; then turn the hat over and fold the other paper up.
7. Cut out the Jolly Roger from the center of the paper (keep the scraps, you'll be using them in the next step). Use the template as a stencil: Place the paper over top of the center of your hat and brush paint over top. Remove the paper and you'll have your Jolly Roger printed on your hat. Younger children will find the paint easier, older children can use a marker in the stencil. Note: You will need to print the Jolly Roger Stencil on heavy paper if you want to use it for more than one hat.
8. Cut out the eyes and nose from the cut out stencil and glue them in place, and you're all done your Newspaper Pirate Hat!
Sign up for our FREE Newsletter
The Busy Bee BUZZzzz You'll get the BUZZzzz on our new crafts, featured crafts for up coming holidays and seasons, AND learn some fun and useful tips for doing kids crafts - all delivered to your inbox from busybeekidscrafts.com.
Your email address is totally secure, it is only used to send you the Busy Bee BUZZzzz.
Find more Pirate Crafts like this Newspaper Pirate Hat