Paper Mache Bowl
This Paper Mache Bowl is a great gift to give someone special! It will have to dry overnight for two nights, but it's well worth the wait!
Ages: 4 and Up
Here's what you'll need...
• Plastic wrap
• Paper Mache Paste
• Paint and brush
Here's how you make it...
1. Wrap a bowl with plastic wrap. Make sure the entire bowl is covered, otherwise your paper mache will stick to it.
2. Tear strips of newspaper about 1" wide. If your bowl is small it will be much easier to work with narrow, short strips of newspaper.
3. *Saturate the newspaper strip with paste and lay it on the bowl - it may be easier to run a strip or two along the lip of the bowl first.
4. Cover your bowl with four layers of paper strips. Let it dry overnight, and add another four layers, and let it dry again overnight. The more layers the more sturdy the bowl, but you will need at least 8 layers in total.
5. Once it is completely dry pull the paper bowl off. An adult will have to do this for younger children because it can be a little bit tricky.
6. Paint your bowl any colors you wish!
If you want to make painting a little easier use strips of old computer paper as your first layer of paper AND your last layer. This way the inside and outside of your bowl will be white and will probably only need one coat of paint, newspaper usually needs two coats of paint to cover.
*You can saturate your newspaper in different ways: You can dip in the the bowl of paste and milk the excess off; you can dip your hand in the paste and run it up and down the newspaper; or, you can use a big paint brush and brush the paste on the bowl, place your strip over top and then brush more paste on top of the strip.
Sign up for our FREE Newsletter
The Busy Bee BUZZzzz You'll get the BUZZzzz on our new crafts, featured crafts for up coming holidays and seasons, AND learn some fun and useful tips for doing kids crafts - all delivered to your inbox from busybeekidscrafts.com.
Your email address is totally secure, it is only used to send you the Busy Bee BUZZzzz.
Find more Mother's Day Crafts like this Paper Mache Bowl
Find more Grandparents Day Crafts