* Instructions for template: The template will open in a new window; close this window when you are done printing to return to the activity page. You will need Adobe Reader to open the template. If you do not have it you can download it for free here.
Here's how you make it...
1. Flatten out your coffee filter. Fill 2 small containers with about ¼ cup of water. In one container put about 10 drops of red food coloring and in the other put 10 drops of yellow food coloring.
2. With an eye dropper or straw drop the colored water onto the coffee filter. When the red and yellow mix it will make a nice sunset orange color. (If you're using a straw you'll need to place the straw into the water, cover the end with your finger and then drop the contents onto the filter.)
3. Once you have covered your coffee filter let it dry. If it's a sunny summer day put it outside, it will only take minutes to dry. It will take a little longer to dry inside, anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on your climate.
4. Cut out the Pirate Silhouette and glue it on your coffee filter (an adult will have to do the cutting parts for the younger children). You will have some of the silhouette hanging out around the edges of the filter, just trim it around.
5. Glue it the coffee filter onto a paper plate. If you want to hang your art work, simply punch two holes on either side of the plate and tie on a piece of string.
Food coloring can stain clothes so make sure the kids are wearing smocks. If you are doing this with younger children you may want to do this craft with washable markers to avoid the potential mess. Have the kids use red and yellow markers to draw on their coffee filter. When they're done squirt it 2-3 times with a spray bottle and then let it dry. The color from the markers will blend.
Sign up for our FREE Newsletter
The Busy Bee BUZZzzz You'll get the BUZZzzz on our new crafts, featured crafts for up coming holidays and seasons, AND learn some fun and useful tips for doing kids crafts - all delivered to your inbox from busybeekidscrafts.com.
Your email address is totally secure, it is only used to send you the Busy Bee BUZZzzz.
Find more Pirate Crafts like this Sunset Pirates Craft
Find more Transportation Crafts